These are days of lots of movement, lights, stimuli, changes in routine and unforgettable moments…
We want both you and your child to enjoy these holidays to the fullest, and strengthening your communication skills is one of the keys!
Language impairment in communication is one of the main diagnostic criteria for a child with autism. Some difficulties in communication that autistic children may present are:
- Repetitive or rigid language. It’s common to see that children talk and say things that make no sense or that do not relate to the conversation they are having.
- Specific interests and exceptional abilities. Some children can start a very deep monologue about a topic that interests them, even though they cannot have a dialogue about the same topic.
- Uneven language development. Many Kiddos make uneven progress in speech and language. For example, they can quickly develop a large vocabulary in a certain area of interest.
- Poor non-verbal communication skills. They typically avoid eye contact, which makes them appear rude, disinterested, or distracted.
It may happen that even because of their difficulty in communicating what they feel or need, they resort to tantrums as the last or only option.
But take it easy!
Here are 4 ABA strategies that will help your Superkiddos enhance their communication skills:
1. ABA THERAPY: Applied behavioral analysis (ABA) is a type of therapy that can improve social, communication, and learning skills through reinforcement strategies. ABA therapy typically addresses skill deficits in several domains that vary and depend on each child’s individual needs.
2. You can also work from and boosts your Superkiddo’s Communication skills. Our BCBA Ariadna Martinez shares with you some practical recommendations!
3. One of the biggest advantages of this time of year is all the stimuli and new elements that you can use to your advantage!
For example, wrapping gifts, decorating the house and preparing the Holiday dinner together are occasions that you should take advantage of to share time with your children, connect with them and communicate through an educational, fun and stimulating activity for both of you.
Also check out our tips to keep Superkiddos comfortable this Holiday Season.
4. Take advantage of daily situations (such as going to the supermarket to shop) to stimulate communication with your child, increasing their vocabulary and understanding of oral language.
Remember that there are no magic formulas, there is passion, enthusiasm, creativity, affection, study and above all, always believe in what your Superkiddo can achieve. And then believing in something usually makes it possible.
If you are interested in our ABA services, contact us! We will be happy to welcome you into our family ❤️
Together, we make it better!